JEF meeting, December 13, 2017
Meeting time and location= 10:00 am EST (JLab time) CC-B101
We are using BlueJeans Video/Audio conferencing. Our meeting ID number is 370588741. Click "Expand" for more details.
- Make sure you have created a BlueJeans account via your JLab CUE account using this link:
- http://jlab.bluejeans.com (You should only need to do this once)
- If connecting via Web Browser: click this link (no passcode is needed):
- If connecting via Phone: Dial one of the following numbers and then enter the meeting ID above and hit "#" or "##"
- Dial: 1 888 240 2560 (US or Canada only)
- or, List of International Numbers
- If connecting via Polycom unit:
- Dial 188.8.131.52 or bjn.vc
- Enter meeting ID above
- Magnetic shielding options (S. Glamazdin)
Attendees: J. Crafts, L. Gan, S. Glamazdin, Z. Papandreou, S. Somov, S. Taylor,
- S. Glamazdin studied 2 designs for shielding the PMTs in the insert using TOSCA:
- A longitudinal field of 60 Oersted was assumed
- Design 1: individual pipes of 1010 steel + 1 layer of mu-metal (360 microns) for each PMT
- Reduction down to ~<0.5 Gauss is possible but with a rapid rise toward the face of the steel in z
- Studies suggest need for a ~3cm long light guide
- Design 2: steel box with 4 mm thick walls housing entire insert
- Shielding improved when an additional 1 cm thick plate was placed at the back of the insert
- Shielding also improved when the steel tube for the beam hole was included
- Looks possible to reduce field down to the level where mu-metal should be sufficient to further reduce the field down to where the PMTs will see low enough field.
- Sasha will study what happens if the wall thickness of the box is reduced and if the hole for the beam is reduced.
- S. Somov reported that an assembly of iron tubes will be assembled and studied with field in Hall D.
- Zisis reported on less expensive SiPM options from SensL (compared to $408 16x16 mm^2 arrays he mentioned previously): 14x14 mm^2 arrays -> $170-$200/unit
- Additional cost for amplifier/LV/HV/etc could make this option cost >$900/channel
- S. Somov reported that Hall-B (HPS) went with APDs instead of SiPMs due to concerns about radiation.