GlueX TOF Meeting, November 12, 2010

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Location, Time

Friday, November 12, 2010
2:00 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center, Room F326/7
ESNet: 8542553
EVO: direct meeting link
Conference Group: 800-377-8846, participant code: 77438230
Slides: talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2010-11 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" group). This directory is accessible from the web at .


  1. Announcements
    1. Breaking up the PID meeting: Mark
  2. Minutes from the last meeting
  3. Prototype Status
  4. Calibration system
  5. Mechanical interface to support structure: real estate planning
  6. Trip to Columbia (U. South Carolina)?: Mark
  7. MOU status


  • FSU: Sasha Ostrovidov
  • JLab: Eugene Chudakov, Paul Eugenio, Mark Ito (chair), Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann


Mark reminded us of the plan to break up the PID meeting into three separate meetings: TOF, start counter, and target. See his email for details.

Prototype Status

  • Paul is working on setting up the new lab space for TOF construction. He found some extra money to purchase infrastructure-like items, including a lathe and a buffer wheel for polishing.
  • Sasha has been moving to a set-up to use the "Giles" method using the new trigger processor.
  • There was a problem with the F1 TDC where the TDC was reporting that the "resolution is not locked". This was fixed by configuring the TDC to not honor trigger signals on the front panel during initialization. In the future triggers can be held off upstream of the TDC.
  • Paul has requested a full VME crate from the Fast Electronics group. Crates should be arriving at JLab in December.
  • Eugene would like to get a phototube from FSU so that it can be looked at in one of the set-ups at JLab.

Mechanical Design

There is a designer that FSU Physics pays for that is now available for work on the TOF. Paul has received mechanical drawings from IU on the FCAL geomentry. Paul would like to arrange a meeting soon with engineering folks at JLab, FSU and IU to get started on the TOF.

Calibration System

We briefly discussed options for a calibration/pulser system for the TOF. There is not a definite plan right now. There have been discussions in the past about the need for a laser system like that used for CLAS in Hall B. We might be able to piggy-back off the Athens system to be used for the calorimeters.

Trip to Columbia (U. South Carolina)

We discussed again the idea of a visit to USC to see Ralf Gothe's set-up. Paul agreed that it was a good idea and that he could arrange a visit, with Sasha, privately with Ralf.

MOU status

The construction MOU between FSU and JLab has been signed by all parties at FSU and is in the process of collecting signatures at JLab.