GlueX TOF Meeting, May 9, 2013

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX TOF Meeting
Thursday, May 9, 2013
10:00 am EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center, F326/327


  1. Announcements
    1. Assembly and Installation Meeting, Fri. May 10, 10 am, ARC 428
  2. Collaboration Meeting Schedule.
  3. Review of last TOF bi-weekly meeting
  4. Construction news
    1. HV board loan from Hall B
    2. Construction updates
  5. Invoicing changes and status
    1. List of invoices
  6. Installation plan and document
  7. Channel labeling scheme
  8. Simulation geometry status



  1. ESNet: 8542553
  2. SeeVogh:

Desktop Sharing

  1. Go to
  2. In the "join a meeting" box enter the code: 1833622
  3. Fill in the participant registration form.


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
  2. enter access code followed by the # sign: 1833622#


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2013-2Q on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at .



  • FSU: Paul Eugenio, Sasha Ostrovidov
  • JLab: Mark Ito (chair), Beni Zihlmann


There will be a TOF assembly and installation meeting, Friday, May 10, at 10 am in ARC 428. FSU will participate via video-conference.

Collaboration Meeting Schedule

We looked over the schedule for Session IIIb. Paul will give the TOF report at the meeting. Chuck offered to prepare representative drawings for Paul's presentation. The offer accepted.

Review of last TOF bi-weekly meeting

We reviewed the minutes from the April 25 meeting.

HV Board Loan from Hall B

Mark spoke to Sergey Boyarinov and was told that Hall B has lots of spare 1450 series HV boards. They will not be using them for CLAS12. Paul indicated that FSU could use two. Mark will arrange shipment to FSU.

Invoice Backup Info

Mark spoke to Kathleen Jones and she has contacted Emily Nerona of FSU. FSU will start work this week on providing the more detailed information we agreed on at the Readiness Review for the current and past invoices.

Construction Updates

  • The replacement for the counter with a poor attenuation length arrived.
  • After the last meeting there was an exchange on the email list. FSU proposed that PMTs should be matched with scintillators as well as to each other. This requires all of the scintillator to be measured before gluing to PMTs.
  • Scintillator testings has continued. Seventy eight are done, 14 left to go. They should all be done in day or two.
  • All of the scintillators measured since the last meeting have acceptable attenuation length.
  • Visual inspection of the bars revealed on counter with a few small bubbles and some with minor dings and scratches, probably received during packing at Eljen. These imperfections have been noted but are not expected to affect performance.
  • In addition to the counters that Eljen warned us about, those short by 1/8 inch, some of the counters were measured at about 1/16 inch short. Again this should not effect the mechanics of mounting the counters. Each module has a center mark. If all marks are aligned in the frame then these differences should be split between the two ends.
  • Ian and Randall made new tool to make the creasing of the ESR easier. It is a roller that presses the material into the corner of a long channel.
  • Three bars were mistakenly wrapped with the protective transparent film still on the scintillator. Surgery was done to remove the film and the procedures will be changed to make sure that it does not happen again.
  • There is a new plan to use the gluing stand to do nine counters at a time rather than five. This is consistent with the capacity of the original design. Eight standard counters and one half-width counter can be accommodated at once. The next batch should be started today.
  • Students are coming back from their post-semester break and full-time shifts should start Monday. This week there were some students helping with light guide attenuation tests.

Invoicing Changes and Status

Mark created a wiki page to track invoices from FSU to JLab (wiki account required to view).

Installation Plan and Document

Paul reviewed the shipping plan (standard GlueX username and password required) they are developing at FSU. In particular he showed a design of the shipping container. Four modules are packed into a container.

Channel Labeling Scheme

David Lawrence is working on the software channel labeling scheme based on Fernando's channel assignments. We need to get the scheme for the TOF and give him comments.

Simulation Geometry Status

The Monte Carlo still does not have the split counters (half-width) in the default configuration. Beni will look into what it takes to put them in.