GlueX TOF Meeting, March 15, 2012
Thursday, March 15, 2012
10:00 am EST
JLab: ARC, Room 428
- Minutes from the last meeting
- Mechanical design: Tim, Chuck
- Prototype status: Paul, Sasha
- TDC choice: all
- Contract Status: Mark, Paul
- Calibration and Alignment discussion.
Talks can be deposited in the directory
/group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2012-1Q on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2012-1Q/ .
Chairman's Cell Phone
- FSU: Sasha Ostrovidov
- JLab: Chuck Hutton, Mark Ito (chair), Tim Whitlatch
Sasha working on attaching the light guides to the prototype in a removable manner.
Tim and Chuck have been working on changes from discussions at the last meeting. He remarked that good recommendations were offered by the FSU team.
- The main support structure has been changed from a bent 1/2-inch plate to machined U-channel, where the basic stock is a standard item. This simplifies the manufacturing considerably, reducing it to machining one edge and possible straightening.
- Mark reported Elton's concern about avoiding putting pressure on the scintillator to prevent crazing. This would mean support by the light guide only.
- Tim pointed out that there might be significant stresses on the scintillator even then and wondered if that was a worry. Mark agreed to look into this.
- Chuck was concerned that the flat section of the light guide next to the scintillator was a bit narrow to be used to support the entire module, given other tolerances that might move the support area. The flat section is only about 1 cm wide.
- Tim brought re-raised the idea of scale models
- a full-scale model of a corner of the array as Paul suggested last time
- a 1/4-scale of the entire assembly, to look for assembly/installation problems
- If the FSU Physics machine shop is available for this kind of work, then there are huge cost savings.
- We will aim for another design meeting on Tuesday, March 20. Mark will try to set it up.
- Look into issue of avoiding pressure on the scintillator. -> Mark
- Set up next design meeting. -> Mark