GlueX TOF Meeting, August 30, 2012

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX TOF Meeting
Thursday, August 30, 2012
10:00 am EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center, F326


  1. Announcements
  2. Review of last TOF bi-weekly meeting
  3. Mechanical design
  4. Prototype status
  5. TDC Purchase
  6. Contract Status
  7. Calibration and Alignment
  8. Technical Design Report contribution



  1. ESNet: 8542553
  2. EVO: EVO site


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2012-3Q on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at .



  • FSU: Paul Eugenio, Sasha Ostrovidov, Randall Smith, Ian Winger
  • JLab: Fernando Barbosa, Mark Ito (chair), Tim Whitlatch, Beni Zihlmann

Re-cap of Last Meeting

Paul summarized items discussed at the last meeting, on August 16.

  • There was a short discussion of items purchased
  • FSU gave an update on mini-TOF construction
  • There was discussion of changing materials due to length and weight.
  • Sasha presented ideas on calibration.


TDC Purchase

Fernando reported.

  • The TDCs have been ordered.
  • Signal distribution issues need to be planned, in particular, additional modules need to be built by us. Hall B has prototypes of these boards but Sergey Boyarinov thinks a new design is needed.

Flash ADCs and the Prototype

Paul expressed interest in gaining experience with flash ADCs.

  • FSU has a VME 64X crate with pins removed for to accomodate the serial connector on the Flash 250. With this set-up one must use the internal clock on the module or provide external clock signals. Since only one ADC is needed for this exercise, the internal clock should be fine.
  • Fernando will look and see what is available.
  • Production units will go to UMass in a month, he hopes that we can receive tested modules from UMass in late October. These will add to the supply.

Mini-TOF Update

Randall and Ian gave the update.

  • The package of bent plates arrived from JLab, but some may not work. They were not stainless as expected. More individual plates may have to be made.
  • They are making lightguides. The long versions have been made for the first time.
  • PMT sleeves have been completed.
  • Shield holders have been completed.
  • Some more raw more materials are needed. Paul had transmitted the list to Mark. He will place the order.
  • This afternoon Paul and Ian will meet to discuss the gluing fixture for assembling five paddles at once.

Contract Status

Mark reported that the final version of the contract should be going to FSU today for signature.

Calibration and Alignment

A new version of the calibration document Sasha presented last time will be distributed shortly.

Technical Design Report Contribution

Paul will devote some more effort to this, so as not to fall too far behind the standard being set by the CDC and FDC groups.