GlueX Start Counter Meeting, October 31, 2013
GlueX Start Counter Meeting
Thursday, October 31, 2013
10 am EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/327
- Review minutes from previous meeting
- Construction Status
- Electronics Status
- Installation planning
- US and Canada: (866)740-1260 (toll free)
- International: (303)248-0285 (toll call) or look up toll-free number at http://www.readytalk.com/intl
- enter access code followed by the # sign: 1833622#
- Go to http://esnet.readytalk.com
- In the "join a meeting" box enter the Hall D code: 1833622
- Fill in the participant registration form.
Talks can be deposited in the directory
/group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2013-4Q on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2013-4Q/ .
- FIU: Werner Boeglin, Eric Pooser
- JLab: Fernando Barbosa, Chuck Hutton, Mark Ito (chair), Tim Whitlatch, Beni Zihlmann
Fernando reported that the ST1, ST2, and ST3 boards are all assembled, including spares. Testing is the next step; that should be started by early December. The board will be tested with the laser in the dark box in F117. The expected time for shipment to FIU is early February, perhaps January.
There is a MPOD chassis from Wiener that will supply low voltage and bias voltages to the ST3 that will be shipped with the electronics.
We discussed the nominal plan for testing all channels with the complete electronics chain at FIU, including FADCs and TDCs in a VXS crate. We all agreed that at this point, it did not make sense to ship all of the electronics to FIU and get it set-up. In particular, Fernando told us that he is reluctant to part with a VXS crates so close to installation time. Werner thought that they could test the electronics, in sets, with the equipment already on hand at FIU. He might need to borrow discriminators. Also, Beni pointed out that if needed we can send cables from the batch that we got from BNL E-852.
We discussed the location of the ST3 briefly. The cables are long enough to accommodate the planned mount on the target installation cart. The exact, precise location is yet to be determined.
- Chuck brought in the inner mandrill for show and tell. The aluminum tube has a slight taper to ensure that the carbon-fiber-foam assembly will slide off easily.
- The finished inner support should be sent to FIU in mid-January. Note that this about when the electronics will be shipped.
- Purchase orders to Eljen and McNeal for the scintillator have been submitted.
- Eric spoke with Chuck Hurlbut at the DNP meeting last week. Eljen has already started production. Eric estimates that they will receive everything from Eljen/McNeal in about ten weeks.
- The scintillator test stand is complete.
- Eric is getting ready to order materials for the pneumatic plungers that will be used to hold modules to the support during assembly. He is also preparing to order aluminum foil for wrapping the scintillator.
- Eric gave a presentation showing the latest design for the assembly jig and some information from various vendors for the aluminum foil. See his slides for details. Since the last meeting he received updated drawings from Chuck and now the geometry is consistent with everyone's expectations.