GlueX Software Meeting, September 3, 2019
GlueX Software Meeting
Tuesday, September 3, 2019
3:00 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center A110
BlueJeans: 968 592 007
- New version set: version_4.8.0.xml
- HDGeant4 meeting new time: 2 pm (was 3 pm). Every other Tuesday as before.
- Review of minutes from the last Software Meeting (all)
- Time History of Offline Computing Resource Usage (Mark)
- Review of recent issues and pull requests:
- Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List (all)
- Action Item Review (all)
Talks can be deposited in the directory
/group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2019 on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2019/ .
- CMU: Naomi Jarvis
- FSU: Sean Dobbs
- JLab: Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann
There is a recording of his meeting on the BlueJeans site. Use your JLab credentials to access it.
Note: Mark started the meeting in the wrong BlueJeans meeting room so remote participants did not get the full experience of the meeting. Like none. Apologies from the chair.
- New version set: version_4.8.0.xml Several packages received update releases in this version set. There was a glitch rolling out the new default version last Friday (version set-up would not work), but it got fixed before noon.
- Due to schedule conflicts, the HDGeant4 meeting time has changed. It will be at 2 pm rather than 3 pm. It will be held every other Tuesday as before.
Review of the Minutes from the Last Meeting
We went over the minutes from August 20.
- Beni wondered if the TPOL people were concerned about having a partial sample of the PS triggers collected during online skims. David reported that he had not received any communication on this.
- NERSC processing. David reported the batch 1 of the Fall 2018 data processing is essentially done and jobs for batch 3 were started at NERSC over the weekend in the low priority pool. We have received an additional 4 mega-units from unused allocations of other users at the NERSC. Batch 2 is in progress on the JLab farm. In addition batch 4 has started the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center using an "advance" allocation while our proposal is being evaluated. The advance is 10% of the full allocation and should get us through about half of batch 4. This means we are now running at three facilities at once.
Time History Plots of Offline Computing Resource Usage
Mark described a system he has developed to capture time histories of any quantity of interest. He has deployed it to track data on offline computing resource usage by Hall D at JLab. See his slides for details. The new webpage can be found here. See the recording for a tour through some anomalies recently discovered using the tool.
Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List
The issue Justin Stevens raised about hdgeant4 missing needed shared libraries on the farm nodes at JLab has been resolved.