GlueX Software Meeting, June 22, 2021
GlueX Software Meeting
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
3:00 pm EDT
BlueJeans: 968 592 007
- Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting (all)
- Minutes from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting (all)
- Report from the June 3rd SciComp Meeting (Mark)
- Review of recent issues and pull requests:
- Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List (all)
- Action Item Review (all)
Present: Alexander Austregesilo, Thomas Britton, Sean Dobbs, Mark Ito (chair), Richard Jones, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann
- Updating Oasis for the GlueX VO Mark recently documented the procedure for update the Oasis CVMFS share with GlueX software. This is the copy we use on the OSG and at the HPC centers.
- info on volatile, cache, and Hall D Mark emphasized the two points in the email: volatile is under-utilized and cache has accumulated a large number of "small" files.
- HOWTO use hdgeant4 as a beam Monte Carlo generator Richard reviewed his recent HOWTO on using the built-in photon beam generator. Featured applications include triplet production from the TPOL converter and Bethe-Heitler production from the hydrogen target. Simulated beam properties can be studied just before and just after the collimator, and before and after the TPOL converter, as well as point farther downstream. He has also written a companion document, HOWTO generate Bethe-Heitler pairs in the GlueX target,which gives guidance on using the event weighting necessary to study BH processes from the target that fall into the GlueX acceptance.
- HOWTO Install and Use the CVMFS Client Mark has documented how to import the Oasis share (as well as the OSG's singularity share) onto a local Linux machine as the root user. This makes all of the essential GlueX software available on that machine as long as it is accessed from within our Singularity container.
- new version sets with bug fix to halld_recon This release was necessary to fix some bugs that crept in during refurbishing of the tagger energy scheme.
Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting
We went over the minutes from the on May 11th.
- Mark passed the list of high-priority files to be recovered from bad tapes, generated by Alex, on to Bryan Hess.
- Beni and Simon pointed out that the change away from TLorentzVector et al. would be non-trivial. The new classes are not backward compatible and occurrences of the old classes are ubiquitous in our code.
Minutes from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting
We went over the minutes from the meeting on June 15th without significant comment.
Report from the June 3rd SciComp Meeting
Mark gave the report. See his slides for the details. We discussed the problem with small files (less than one megabyte) on the cache disk. Mark remarked that there is no global solution to the problem; files come from many different sources for many different reasons. More thought is needed here.
Review of recent issues and pull requests
We went over only one issue: Apparent angle in photon beam direction #531, submitted by Alex two weeks ago. Alex summarized the discussion for us. Please see the issue itself for the details. The plot which opens the issues shows a non-zero x-component to the reconstructed, total momentum for ρ events, which the kinematic fit constrains to zero. There was a lot of discussion, back and forth, statement and retraction, etc. The progress thus far is documented in the issue itself.
- Richard re-iterated his request that we move forward in the Geant4 version line, which will require a more advanced compiler that that provided by CentOS 7.
- Beni noted that the collaborators who maintain ROOTSpy and Hydra, namely David Lawrence and Thomas, have both left the Hall D group. Thomas assured us that that Hydra remains one of his key job responsibilities.
Action Item Review
- Do a build against ROOT 6.24. (Mark I.)
- Decide on needed tape volume sets. (Sean, Mark I.)
- Review disk usage when re-repatriating recon launch data. (Alex, Mark)
- Review outstanding issues with MCwrapper (Thomas)
- Take another look at halld_recon issue #512. (Sean)
- Think about Jon's list of improvements. (all)
- Automatically make CCDB entries for selected RCDB items. (Mark I.)
- Modify the documentation on how to copy files from JLab. (Mark I.)