GlueX Software Meeting, July 20, 2021
GlueX Software Meeting
Tuesday, July 20, 2021
3:00 pm EDT
BlueJeans: 968 592 007
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Minutes
- 2.1 Announcements
- 2.2 Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting
- 2.3 Review of Minutes from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting
- 2.4 FAQ of the Fortnight
- 2.5 DSelector Choices and Disk Footprints
- 2.6 System for using GCC 8 with the GlueX software stack
- 2.7 Review of recent issues and pull requests
- 2.8 Action Item Review
- New work disk is up and running as a disk server. Files are being migrated from old server to new.
- AmpTools v0.12.1
- Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting (all)
- Review of Minutes from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting (all)
- FAQ of the Fortnight: Where do I find version set files?
- DSelector Choices and Disk Footprints (Jon Z.)
- System for using GCC 8 with the GlueX software stack (Mark)
- Review of recent issues and pull requests:
- Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List (all)
- Action Item Review (all)
Present: Alex Austregesilo, Sean Dobbs, Mark Ito (chair), Richard Jones, David Lawrence, Churamani Paudel, Simon Taylor, Jon Zarling, Beni Zihlmann
- New work disk is up and running as a disk server. Files are being migrated from old server to new. Initially we will have about 400 TB on the new server compared to the 200 TB we have on the current /work/halld and 50 TB we have on /work/halld3. After the transition is complete, the old servers will have their operating systems upgraded and will be redeployed, so we will recover the old disk space in addition to the new.
- AmpTools v0.12.1. We reviewed Matt Shepherd's announcement. There is a new version set available that has this bug-fix release of AmpTools (version set 4.42.1)
Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting
We went over the minutes from the meeting on July 6th. Turns out we did have a work disk squeeze since the last meeting. Mark Dalton and George Vasileiadis helped out to reduce usage on /work/halld.
Review of Minutes from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting
FAQ of the Fortnight
Mark introduced a new segment of the Software Meetings: FAQ of the Fortnight. At future meetings, he will lead us through one of the FAQ's (or similar pieces of documentation) in an effort to boost collaboration productivity. This week we reviewed Where do I find version set files?. You can find the tour starting at 14:30 in the recording.
DSelector Choices and Disk Footprints
Jon has been looking several ROOT-related and ROOT-adjacent software ideas with an eye toward reducing storage size of ROOT trees and improving I/O performance when reading them back. See his slides for all of the details. His conclusion slide reads:
- Either ROOT::Math::LorentzVector or four doubles could reduce our footprint by about 50%
- ROOT::Math::LorentzVector could probably be wrapped into DLorentzVector (replacing TLorentzVectors currently implemented)
- Fiducial kinfit cuts could reduce the footprint even more (but might need analyzer input)
- Using LZ4 compression (ROOT 6.24.00+) increases size by 15-20%
- But can parse 1.5-2× faster
- Working on a wrapper for uproot in flat tree format, stay tuned!
System for using GCC 8 with the GlueX software stack
Mark reviewed his email message outlining a new system, ready for testing, for accessing a more advanced version of the GCC compiler that is shipped with CentOS 7. This allows access to more modern versions of our support software, in particular at present the latest version of Geant4.
There is a new HOWTO on...well...how to use the system in a Singularity container. This method is currently available on the OSG and the HPC centers. Mark is working on other approaches including running CentOS 8 and using GCC "modules" at JLab.
Review of recent issues and pull requests
We discussed halld_recon issue #537, Problems with photon energies in MC samples posted by Sean. Please see the issue for all of the details. This one is tough because it is hard to reproduce.
On another front, Sean also mentioned that Igal is having a non-reproducible issue with the last of the hundreds of jobs in a run hanging at the end of its file.
Action Item Review
- Decide on needed tape volume sets. (Sean, Mark I.)
- Review disk usage when re-repatriating recon launch data. (Alex, Mark)
- Discuss automatically making CCDB entries for selected RCDB items. (Mark I., Sean)
- Modify the documentation on how to copy files from JLab. (Mark I.)
- Generate finer-grained info on small cache files. (Mark I.)