GlueX Software Meeting, April 16, 2019

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Software Meeting
Tuesday, April 16, 2019
3:00 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center A110
BlueJeans: 968 592 007


  1. Announcements
    1. Pittsburg Super Computer Center training classes
  2. Review of minutes from the March 5 meeting (all)
  3. Report from the last HDGeant4 Meeting (all)
  4. IT Reorganization
  5. PrimEx branches in HDDS
  6. Review of recent issues and pull requests:
    1. halld_recon
    2. halld_sim
    3. CCDB
    4. RCDB
  7. Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List (all)
  8. Action Item Review (all)


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2019 on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at .



  • CMU: Naomi Jarvis
  • FIU: Rupesh Dotel
  • JLab: Shankar Adhikari, Alexander Austregesilo, Sean Dobbs, Hovanes Egiyan, Stuart Fegan, Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Justin Stevens, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann

There is a recording of this meeting on the BlueJeans site. Use your JLab credentials to access it.


David sent around an email asking about interest in having the lab be a satellite site for an HPC Summer Boot Camp that teaches fundamentals in parallel programming to be held June 3-6. If you have an opinion, please contact David by April 17.

Review of minutes from the March 5 meeting

We went over the minutes.

  • David reported that Batch 3 of the reconstruction of Spring 2018 data is complete. Batch 4 was submitted to NERSC earlier today.
  • David, Alex, Curtis Meyer, and Amber Boehnlein submitted a proposal to the Pittsburgh Super Computer Center for enough time to do a single reconstruction pass on the Fall 2018 data (7.65 SU's). Requests take about two weeks to be evaluated.

Report from the last HDGeant4 Meeting

We went over the minutes from the meeting on April 9. We though that Peter might want to pick a few items from his comparisons between G3 and G4 and post them as issues on the HDGeant4 page on GitHub.

Naomi brought up a couple of separate issues with HDGeant4:

  1. The number of events to be generated can be specified in the macro that starts the job or in the file. We don't which is controlling. David mentioned that he has requested that it be specify-able in to maintain symmetry between hdgeant and HDGeant4. We again suggested that this was an appropriate issue for the HDGeant4 GitHub site.
  2. The "-r" switch for setting the run number does not work.

IT Reorganization

Mark described recent personnel changes in IT Division.

PrimEx branches in HDDS

There is a new system for maintaining alternate geometries in the Git repository. Richard and Sasha described it in a recent email exchange. Recall that the geometry for reconstruction should be coming from the CCDB and not the Git repository. The versions in the repository are only for developing new geometry configurations. In the repository it is important that distinct geometries be kept on separate branches. "Merging to the master branch" is a disaster in this case.

Review of recent issues and pull requests

We reviewed issues for halld_recon and halld_sim. We discussed how to prioritize work on the various issues. In real time, Sean assigned color-coded labels to all of the extant halld_recon issues. Issue #71, Crash in ST matching is marked as the highest priority issue, as we agreed.

General Documentation in Need of Update

Hovanes remarked that the general documentation for the GlueX software on the wiki page is inconsistent and out of date. No one disputed his statement.

CCDB Development

Sean and Mark will meet with Dmitry to plan work to address the issues reported with CCDB.