GlueX Offline Meeting, May 15, 2013

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Software Meeting
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
1:30 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/327


  1. Announcements
  2. Review of minutes from the last meeting: all
  3. Collaboration Meeting Schedule
  4. Data Challenge 2 (all)
  5. Mantis Bug Tracker Review
  6. Review of recent repository activity: all

Communication Information

Video Conferencing

Desktop Sharing

You can view the computer desktop in the meeting room at JLab via the web.

  1. Go to
  2. In the "join a meeting" box enter the Hall D code: 3421244
  3. Fill in the participant registration form.


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
  2. enter access code followed by the # sign: 3421244#


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2013-2Q on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at .



  • CMU: Will Levine, Paul Mattione, Curtis Meyer
  • JLab: Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Simon Taylor, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann
  • MIT: Justin Stevens


Elliott has an online build system based on SCons. This is something we may want to consider for the offline.

Collaboration Meeting Schedule

We decided on four talks:

  1. Will on BCAL Reconstruction
  2. Simon on Tracking
  3. Mark on Overview and Data Challenge
  4. David on TBD

ROOT Tree Format

Paul has checked his work into the repository.

The big change in the system since the last meeting is how different particle combinations within a single event are treated. Before each event had its own tree entry and the different particle combinations where realized by making each variable an array with the array elements corresponding to different combinations. That proved to be difficult if one combination is selected for output. Now each combination is its own tree entry. One event might therefore appear in multiple entries.

Kei has started using it and Paul is looking forward to feedback from him.

Update on BCAL Reconstruction

Will commented on the changes he has checked in lately. There are two major changes:

  1. switch to new simulation and smearing scheme from David
  2. switch from KLOE to IU algorithm as the default

Kei started looking at this code as well. Will will start looking at basic stuff, e. g., single photons and π0s.

Data Challenge 2

Mark updated the wiki page presented at the last meeting to include suggestions from subsequent discussion. He will revisit the process for Data Challenge 1 to further refresh our memory on the issues to be resolved.

b1pi Semi-Weekly Test

Will asked how to find out about the details of how this test works. During the discussion Beni mentioned that the π0 peak is rather weak in the two-photon invariant mass plot. Paul will summarize some of the details for us.

Mantis Bug Tracker Review

In the process of reviewing the Mantis items, additional issues were raised.

  • The TOF geometry at present does not reflect the "split" or "half-width" counters introduced to reduce the rate in the inner PMTs. Beni has volunteered to look into putting the correct geometry.
  • Beni will also look into adding additional material in front of the BCAL, i. e., the plastic sheet for the light monitoring system.
  • Simon noted that FDC geometry details need to be included, in particular the aluminum manifolds for pre-amp cooling. He agreed to work on this.
  • David is working on translation tables for mapping from electronic channels to detector-based names. He will produce a document describing the naming scheme, adopted from Fernando's original spreadsheets.

Review of recent repository activity

Other than changes discussed previously in the meeting, the other significant changes are incremental improvements to tracking from Simon. Paul asked if Simon was interested in looking into the problem of curling particles in the tracking chambers. They will get together and discuss the issues.

New Action Items

  1. revisit data challenge 1 -> Mark
  2. fix TOF geometry -> Beni
  3. add material in front of BCAL in simulation -> Beni
  4. add aluminum manifold for FDC pre-amp cooling in simulation -> Simon
  5. summarize the detector naming scheme in a document -> David
  6. discuss the curling track problem -> Paul and Simon