GlueX Offline Meeting, March 9, 2010

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Meeting
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
2:00 pm EST
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/7


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
    • 800-377-8846 : US
    • 888-276-7715 : Canada
    • 302-709-8424 : International
  2. enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#")

Video Conferencing

A) ESNet: 8542553
B) EVO: direct meeting link


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2010-03 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" Unix group). This directory is accessible from the web at .


  1. Review minutes from last meeting: all
  2. Announcements
    • Error and Warning auto-nofify: Mon. and Thu.
  3. MacOS build work: David
  4. Building a roof over src: Mark
  5. ded, a new GlueX event display: Elliott
  6. Improvements in full event reconstruction : David
  7. Time for new build?: all
  8. Action item review: all


JLab: Craig Bookwalter, Eugene Chudakov, Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Sascha Somov, Eliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann

Reviewing minutes from last meeting

We skimmed last week's minutes:

  • Truth and Hits: David implemented our new policy to allow simultaneous existence in the data model of truth information and smeared hit information. This required the introduction of new structures for truth information for the CDC wires, FDC cathodes, and FDC anodes. Mcsmear reads in the truth information into the new structure and outputs smeared values in the (pre-existing) corresponding ones.
  • Noise Hits in mcsmear: David changed the default behaviour to have no noise generation. The -N switch was introduced to turn on noise generation. The -n switch implements the default behaviour, for backward compatibility.

MacOS build work

David brought us up-to-date. He has been working on building the GlueX software on a recently acquired Mac-Mini running MacOS 10.6. Has been having problems with CERNLIB and with ROOT, both will compile, but programs using them crash. We all agreed that this should not be taking a huge amount of David's time; it will now be a background project for him.

Building a roof over src

Mark presented a proposal to make change in the top-level structure of our simulation and reconstruction code, in essence give it name ("sim-recon") less generic than the current one ("src"). See his wiki page for details.

There was general agreement on the idea and the name sim-recon was endorsed. Details to follow in the coming days.

ded, a new GlueX event display

Elliott gave a report on ded, a new event display program written by Dave Heddle. A complete presentation will be given at the next Online Meeting but some features are:

  • works under Dave's bcnu framework
  • total code base roughly 40,000 lines of code
  • 2,700 lines of coded needed to implement the GlueX-detector-specific geometry and event format
  • 100% Pure Java
  • CLAS12 implementation called ced

Improvements in full event reconstruction

David presented recent changes in reconstruction and the current event display (hdview2) mainly having to do with calorimeter clusters and the resulting photon objects. See his slides for details. He has implemented an algorithm that combines adjacent clusters into photons. He has also added features to be able to display the photons as well as the projected intersection of charged tracks with the calorimeters.

Time for a new build?

Mark asked the question. David answered it (yes) in light of the changes in the previous discussion.

Generating FADC data

Beni is thinking about how we might want to generate raw FADC data (digital scope traces) in the smearing step of Monte Carlo generation. He is collecting ideas.

Offline Software and the 12 GeV Project Plan

See the Offline Software and the 12 GeV Project Plan wiki page.

New Action Items

  1. Make a new tagged release. -> Mark
  2. PWA scope study -> Craig