GlueX Containers Meeting, April 6, 2018
GlueX Containers Meeting
Friday, April 6, 2018
11:30 am EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center A110
BlueJeans: 968 592 007
Present: Beni Zihlmann, David Lawrence, Richard Jones, Mark Ito, Thomas Britton
- Mark reported a problem using our standard Singularity container on ifarm. Singularity there has auto-bound directory inconsistent with our container. Should not be a fundamental problem, but not understood at present.
- David got around the need for ROOT access to build a Singularity container on the ifarm by routing the build through SingularityHub. The container there is in turn tied to a Docker project (though the singularity build is done on demand at present). And Docker is tied to a GitHub-resident Dockerfile (of course!).
- David was able to run a desktop session in the container via a web browser using a no-vnc server, as well as using VNC using the yes-vnc server. [?]
- Thomas repeated his report, given at the Offline Meeting, on using the OSG for Monte Carlo. Richard has several comments:
- bringing random trigger files along with the job might be slowing job start-up
- condor_shadow processes start when the job starts on the remote node
- Condor supports batch submission. Thomas will explore using this in MCwrapper.
- batch submission makes it easier to recall thousands of jobs should the need arise
- Mark: update of the CVMFS-resident GlueX software stack with new versions has gone swimmingly.
- Mark: no progress with including XROOTD as part of said stack
- we will meet in a week