Controls Meeting 8-Sep-2011
- Power engineer being hired
- GlueX collaboration meeting 6-8 Oct
- Minutes from previous meeting 11-Aug-2011
- Equipment orders - Mark, Hovanes
- test equipment
- rack hardware, Ethernet power strips
- Test Lab status
- what has Sarin come up with concerning the Danfysik power supply?
- what needs to be moved out and when?
- Upgrade to solenoid control system - All
- needed about one year from now
- new hardware design based on experience in Test Lab
- need to collect requirements for hardware and software
- do we want to upgrade to Ethernet/IP control on Danfysik power supply (from RS232)?
- need subgroup to work on this
- A-B licenses and license server - Josh
- add licenses from other groups? dedicated licenses? priorities?
- Interim networking in the hall - Elliott
- Big UPS ordered - Elliott
- should we run circuits to the hall? If so, to what?
- Solenoid controls racks in the hall - Elliott
- ControlNet vs Ethernet/IP - Hovanes
- Controls test stand, BOY, etc. - Hovanes
- Nerses Gevorgyan coming - Hovanes
- what should he work on? device drivers vs EPICS utilities vs Java stuff vs ...?
- Target controls needed by next summer
- IRMIS - Elliott
- Mantis task tracker
9:30 AM Thurs 8-Sep-2011 CC L207
Thurs 22-Sep 9:30am CC L207
Present: Elliott W, Josh B, Hovanes E, David L, Scot S, Mark S.
- Mark ordered two meters and an oscilloscope with FY11 money.
- We have additional money in FY12 for test equipment.
- Mark and Scot will propose an order for rack hardware, Ethernet power strips, etc, needs to be in by 1-Oct.
- We need to be out by 1-Oct according to the nominal schedule.
- Sarin and Scot worked on the Danfysik power supply. Sarin understands the slow dump mechanism and he and Scot verified it is working. The problem was when we went to a smaller dump resistor another part of the circuit needed modification. They found it worked with the nominal dump resistor.
Solenoid Control System
- A subgroup (Elliott, Mark, Josh, Scot) will meet regularly to design the new system based on experience in the Test Lab.
- This needs to be operational about one year from now.
- Ethernet control of the Danfysik needs to be investigated, perhaps in cooperation with Hall C (Steve Lassiter).
- Upgrades to Danfysik recommended by review committee need to be evaluated.
- Fast and slow dump chain strategy needs to be revisited.
- New quench detector needs design.
- Josh received another RSLogix license and a ViewPoint license (one seat).
- We are setting up an A-B license server on a CUE virtual machine (visible everywhere on site).
Interim Networking in Hall
- Elliott worked out an interim networking plan with Bryan H.
- We may purchase our big switch sooner rather than later since no price breaks are expected with time (unlike computers).
- We will initially rely on wireless in the hall, but can run temporary copper if needed.
- Main fiber run to the hall will come after platform is complete.
- Elliott will investigate running fiber to the trailer (to eliminate $250/month cell-phone modem cost).
- Walt ordered our big counting house UPS.
- Delivery by 1-Jan, should be able to install immediately in the counting house.
- Discussion on what systems in the hall, if any, should be connected to this UPS.
- solenoid controls racks seemed to be a good candidate.
- some network switches in the hall, esp. those supporting controls.
- target control system?
- other systems?
- how much power needed and how long?
- note that most components connected to the UPS (computers) will be shut down during power loss within 10 mins.
ControlNet vs Ethernet/IP
- Current design uses Ethernet/IP connections between all controls chassis.
- Hovanes wondered whether the solenoid control system should have a local PLC and run ControlNet between chassis.
- advantage is that it will still run if network is down.
- disadvantage is you need local PLC, or must run copper to the counting house.
- Bryan Hess reports that modern networking gear is extremely reliable.
Controls Test Stand
- Hovanes reported continuing progress in test stand.
- Some equipement in the Test Lab will be moved to the test stand.
- Hovanes is testing some new EPICS utilities, more need to be tested.
- Ongoing/upcoming projects include FCAL bases and CAEN/Wiener crate control.
- Nerses could arrive as early as Oct, but he needs a visa first.
- He will likely work on both low-level EPICS drivers, crate control, as well as high-level EPICS utilities.
- Elliott noted that the new EPICS Java framework might be interesting, he will find out the latest on this.
- Control system needed by Summer 2012.
- Should be easy, all control loops will likely reside in manufacturer hardware.
- All we need to do is download setpoints and monitor health.
- Schema mostly stable, user interface in a state of flux.
- New interface should be out this fall.
- Current interface somewhat cumbersome for bulk entry.
- Does IRMIS have a good long-term future, or might it fade away? Fewer developers working on it now.