Controls Meeting 17-May-2012
- CNU summer students
- Minutes from previous meeting 3-May-2012
- Barcode scanner - Elliott, Hovanes
- wireless? USB? base station?
- how many? how and where used?
- Motorolla DS4208
- FCC Class B UPS's - Hovanes, Elliott
- EPICS - Hovanes, Vanik
- alarm system, goniometer, UConn boards, other power supplies, etc.
- Counting house installation - Hovanes, Mark
- Solenoid_Controls_Redesign - Mark, Josh, Scot, Yi, Elliott
- UPS power to Danfysik, SOE, QD, overcurrent protection, ground fault detector, etc.
- JInventory database - Elliott
- Test stand - Hovanes, Josh
- PLC programming and PXI system - Josh
- Elogs and databases - Elliott
- Midas elog
- Operator elog
- Mantis task tracker
- Experiment Control Supervisor - Elliott
9:30 AM Thurs 17-May-2012 CC L207
9:30am 31-May-2012 CC L207
Present: Elliott W, Hovanes E, Vanik K, Mark S, Dave B.
JInventory system and barcode scanner
- Hovanes suggested adding two new fields, MAC_Address and IPName. Elliott will do this. The Telecom field will stay.
- Wired barcodes scanners around $300, full-function wireless around $1600 or more.
- Elliott will find out about Bluetooth versions.
- Consensus is that we need at least two, one wired, one wireless.
- Will purchase wired model now, not sure whether to buy wireless model now or later.
- Consensus to enter slots as full items in the JInventory system.
- Elliott will create scripts to automate creation of slot entries for crates.
- Josh entered many A-B modules.
- Mark will enter electrical substations and panel boards.
- Still not clear how much power needed. We know what out equipment needs, not sure about other systems (e.g. SiPM cooling).
- Hovanes found high-capacity expensive FCC Class B UPS's at Grainger. Low-capacity ones are easy to find.
- Elliott asked Paul Powers to look into filtering Class A power down to Class B specs.
- We believe our power factors are typically near one, maybe 0.9.
- Vanik continues to make progress on the stepper motor controller. He got the optical counter feature to work.
- Will likely need optical limit switches since "home" feature not working well. Unfortunately they are easily radiation damaged.
- UConn boards may be redesigned.
- We're hoping Accelerator will take over four of our five power supplies (not the Solenoid supply).
- RDC will be installed next week.
- Giles finalizing rack room power distribution plan.
- Everything is cleaned up for the Open House.
- Mark installed new Danfysik boards.
- Mark installed center tap on dump resistor.
- Mark is working on SOE circuits.
- We misplaced Hall C's flow switch, had to order another.
- Hovanes ordered a 32-port terminal server, updated version of the ones used in Hall B. About $1500.
- Dave Butler is learning about our PLC system.
- Josh may have a good first project for him, reworking the Danfysik communication code.