GlueX Offline Meeting, June 15, 2011

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 22:37, 31 March 2015 by Marki (Talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "www/halldweb1/" to "www/halldweb/")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Software Meeting
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
1:30 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326

Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Review of minutes from the last meeting: all
  3. Doxygen Documentation: David
  4. Raw hit and reconstructed track correlations:Keeping track of track hits, Beni
  5. TOF reconstruction: Simon
  6. Action Item Review: all
  7. Review of recent repository activity: all

Communication Information

Telephone

To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
  2. enter access code followed by the # sign: 3421244#

Video Conferencing

Slides

Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2011-2Q on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2011-2Q/ . You have to be a member of the "halld" Unix group to do this.

Minutes

Present:

  • IU: Mihajlo Kornicer, Ryan Mitchell, Kei Moriya, Matt Shepherd
  • JLab: Eugene Chudakov, Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Elton Smith, Simon Taylor, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann
  • Regina: Andrei Semenov, Irina Semenova

Announcements

We reviewed the minutes from the June 1st meeting.

  • Offline Coordinator. Paul Eugenio recently ran the election for a new Offline Coordinator. With the lack of other nominees, Mark was declared the winner for another two year term.
  • Dmitry. Dmitry Romanov will be visiting the Lab again, starting next week. He will resume work on the calibration database.

Review of minutes from the last meeting

  • b1pi analysis. David reported that Paul Mattione is now seeing better distributions for the "exotic meson" mass. There is no longer a high-side tail.
  • gridmake. Beni sent a Richard Jones a link where he can start putting documentation for the new gridmake system.
  • Photons. Mihajlo had updated the repository with new names for some of the calorimeter classes. The FCAL clases have been changed to be consistent with the naming convention used for the BCAL, i. e., "clusters" and "showers". The old BCAL and FCAL "photons" have been kept for backward compatibility.

Doxygen Documentation

David went over some of the recent updates he has made to the Doxygen-based documentation of sim-recon. We use Doxygen for reference documentation for each source code file, usually classes.

  • The "front page" has been rewritten bringing it up to date.
  • It includes a call diagram, with clickable boxes.
    • blue boxes go to the documentation for the factory clases
    • green trapezoids go the the data classes themselves, as translated from the HDDM input.
  • A set of icons for "core", "default", and "deprecated" have been introduced to distinguish among the roles of the factories that produce the same vector of data objects. These can be displayed on the Doxygen pages.

Elton raised the idea of having one or more well-defined examples, in code, that people could use as a starting point for doing their own analyses. Mark will schedule a discussion of this at a future meeting.

David proposed a minimum standard of description that should be written for each class in the source code. Factory classes should contain a summary of what they do and data classes should have work or phrase descriptions for every member datum. We agreed that we should adopt this standard as policy. As a start toward enforcement, David, Simon, Beni, and Elliott will all try to implement this standard in the classes they remember writing. A more formal enforcement mechanism will have to be devised in the future.

Raw hit and reconstructed track correlations: keeping track of track hits

Beni recapped the changes he made, over that past months, to allow examination of the correlation between hits associated with a track candidate and the Monte Carlo particles that produced them. See [his slides] for details. The current status of this work allows simultaneous operation of Beni's plug-in (studying these correlations) and Matt's code to study the behavior of the BCAL reconstruction. In summary he has identified two more things to be done:

  1. Only remove itrack and ptype from MC smeared data structure only.
  2. Remove itrack and ptype from MC data altogether (unsmeared and smeared)

TOF reconstruction

Simon gave a rather detailed description of the TOF reconstruction that is currently in sim-recon. See his slides for all of those details. His last slide identifies current missing pieces:

  • No time-walk correction algorithm implemented
  • Cases where track crosses two adjacent paddles in a view not explicitly treated

New action items

  1. Schedule a discussion of analysis code examples that should be produced and documented. --> Mark
  2. Add comments to source code files. --> David, Simon, Beni, and Elliott