Run Coordination Meetings:Fall2017 Spring2018 Run

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 17:31, 30 November 2017 by Deurpam (Talk | contribs) (Runplan time charts)

Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting General Agenda

Connect Information

To connect from the outside by phone please do the following

1.) To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1] https://bluejeans.com/660743227.

2.) To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: 199.48.152.152 (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 660743227.

3.) To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 660743227.

4.) The moderator code is 8394

Dial Either +1 408 740 7256 or +1 888 240 2560 for US or Canada

Specific instructions for connecting from JLab's Hall D conference room:

  • Turn polycon on if necessary (do it before turning the computer on)
  • With the polycon, place a call at 199.48.152.152
  • Press # to enable the polycom keypad, then enter the meeting id: 660743227 and #
  • You may have to unmute the microphone: #*4
  • Turn the computer on if needed

Beam and Hall configuration

  • Beam energy expected: 11.640 GeV (Same value as Fall 2016 and Spring 2017).
  • Solenoid on at 1350A. Any field changes should be avoided if possible.
  • CW Beam current:
    • Range: 1 nA-1.5 μA. 250 MHz frequency.
    • Standard production running expected at ~200 nA on 4·10-4 R.L. radiator.
    • RSAD limit for most of the run, excluding high intensity tests: 250 nA on 4·10-4 R.L. radiator.
  • FFB on or Position Slow Lock on (FFB doesn't operate below 50nA).
  • Radiators:
    • Goniometer diamond radiators:
      • J1a50       (50 μm - 4.1·10-4 R.L., 4×4 mm²) - old crystal - excellent rocking curve
      • JD70-100 (58 μm - 4.8·10-4 R.L., 7×7 mm²) - new crystal - excellent rocking curve
      • JD70-105 (47 μm - 3.9·10-4 R.L., 7×7 mm²) - new crystal - good rocking curve
      • JD70-104 (17 μm - 1.4·10-4 R.L., 7×7 mm²) - new crystal - wider rocking curve - marginally usable
    • We also have one 10 μm Al radiator.
    • Amorphous
      • 1.5 µm Al (1.7·10-5 R.L.)
      • 10 µm Al (11.2·10-5 R.L.)
      • 30 µm Al (33.7·10-5 R.L.)
  • Tagger quadrupole on (-4.2 A).
  • Collimator hole: Both 5 mm diameter and 3.4 mm diameter. Default running: 5.0 mm

General Information

This document describes the run plan for the Hall D Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 run.

  • Schedule for the run:
  1. Nov. 27th-Dec. 1st: Electron beam restoration
  2. Dec. 1st-Dec. 21st: Hall D Fall run.
  3. Dec. 21st-Jan. 8th: Xmas break. (Solenoid will be ramped down but kept cool)
  4. Jan. 9th-Jan. 11th: Electron beam restoration
  5. Jan. 12th-Mar. 23rd: Hall D Spring run.
  1. Every Tuesdays: 12h of beam study. Every Thursdays, if necessary: 8h of RF recovery.
  • Accelerator overall plan and priorities:
  1. Deliver physics beam to 4 halls.


  • Expected Staffing and responsibilities:
    • The Run Coordinator oversees the commissioning:
      • Nov. 27th-Dec. 1st, 5 days: A. Deur (accelerator restoration)
      • Dec. 1st-Dec. 21st, 20 days: A. Deur
      • Xmas break.
      • Jan. 9th-Jan. 11th, 3 days: A. Deur (accelerator restoration)
      • Jan. 12th-Jan. 24th, 12 days: A. Deur
      • Jan. 24th-Jan. 31st, 7 days: Sasha Ostrovidov
      • Jan. 31st-Feb. 7th, 7 days: Justin Stevens
      • Feb. 7th-Feb. 14th, 7 days: Mark Dalton
      • Feb. 14th-Feb. 21st, 7 days: Alex Barnes
      • Feb. 21st-Feb. 28th, 7 days: Zisis Papandreou
      • Feb. 28th-March 7th, 8 days: Cristiano Fanelli
      • March 7th-March 14th, 7 days: Richard Jones
      • March 14th-March 22nd, 8 days: Naomi Jarvis


Runplan

  1. Verify electron beam quality and establish photon beam (assume 1 day).
    • Ion Chambers trip threshold must be set using Al. radiators
    • Tune electron beam with radiator retracted
      • Radiator (amorphous and diamond) must be retracted. Collimator should be in blocking position.
        • Typical levels are (for radiator retracted, collimator fully blocking, electron beam current 50 nA)
          • RAD102_P1 ~ 10 mrad/hr (tagger area, gammas, between tagger and dump)
          • RAD102_P2 ~ 30 mrad/hr (tagger area, gammas, on goniometer).
          • RAD102_P3 ~ 0.1 mrem/hr (tagger area, neutrons, near electronics racks)
          • RAD508_P1 < 0.1 mrad/hr (collimator cave, gammas).
          • RAD508_P2 ~ 0. mrad/hr (Hall. Neutrons).
      • Hall D tagger CARMS, Ion Chamber and BLM threshold for beam trips should not be changed without approval of Hall D leader.
    • Establish good photon beam
    • Make sure tagger quadrupole is on (-4.2 A).
      • Insert 2*10-5 RL radiator. (Call MCC and ask to mask the FSD each time the radiator is moved)
        • Typical levels are (for 2*10-5 radiator, electron beam current 50 nA)
          • RAD102_P1= 15 mrad/hr (tagger area, gammas, between tagger and dump)
          • RAD102_P2= 30 mrad/hr (tagger area, gammas, on goniometer)
          • RAD102_P3= ~2 mrem/hr (tagger area, neutrons, near electronics racks)
          • RAD508_P1= ~10 mrad/hr (collimator cave, gammas).
          • RAD508_P2 < ~ 0. mrad/hr (Hall. Neutrons).
    • Once radiation levels are good, proceed with harp scans (Hovanes/Todd. 15 min)
      • Take tagger harp scans. Check consistency with Accelerator's harps. Study beam focusing
    • Radiation level study (1h):
      • Run 5 min without radiator (Call MCC and ask to mask the FSD each time the radiator is moved). Beam current: 50nA. Repeat at 100 nA and 200 nA
      • Run 5 min with the 10-4 radiator (Call MCC). Beam current: 50nA. Repeat at 100 nA and 200 nA
      • Run 3 min with the 3*10-4 radiator (Call MCC). Beam current: 50nA. Repeat at 100 nA and 200 nA
    • Active Collimator calibration. (20 + 20 mins). Call Hovanes.
      • re-Insert the 10-4 radiator (Call MCC). Use about 100 nA beam current. This will provide the Act. Col. nominal positions for its high gain values.
      • Determine maximum photon beam transmission by doing 2D scans using the collimator x/y motions (Hovanes. 1h)
      • Repeat procedure with 2*10-5 radiator (Call MCC) and 50 nA beam current. This will provide the Act. Col. nominal positions for its low gain values.
      • Record on the white board what is the beam position on 5C11b and Active Collimator for optimal photon transmission, both for low and high Act. Col. gain.
      • Retract profiler.
    • Verify with MCC that position slow lock is back on (locking on Act. Col. and for values corresponding to optimal photon flux).
  2. Detector and beamline checkout.
    • Reestablish L1 trigger Alex. Somov. 3h).
    • Reestablish DAQ (Sergei, 2h).
    • General detector calibration (Sean Dobbs . 4h). Use 10-4 radiator.
      • Run 15 min in Long Mode.
    • From here on, the tasks below are interspersed with data production
  3. Realign 60 μm diamond (JD70-100) Align other diamond(s) later?? (Hovanes, Paul Mattione. 12h/diamond).
  4. Beam background measurements for PRad target TAC runs. (A. Deur/Hovanes/A. Somov) 10-250nA, no radiator, TAC in, target full. 1h. Several runs throughout Fall/Spring run periods.
  5. Straight track run (16h, nominally at the end of the Fall run. Otherwise, end of Spring run) (Lubomir)
    • Ramp down solenoid magnet (2h)
    • Take straight track run data (Lubomir)
  6. Gluex data production
    • Log in run information in the shift summary (make a run list). For each production run, log useful comments on DAQ comment window, see [2]
    • Tagger quadrupole on
    • Harp scans once a day: 15 min.
    • If commissioning and analysis were successful, once a day (?), a beam envelope measurement by rastering on Act. Col. ??min
    • Empty target run every 3 week (2h: 1- h to empty/fill back the target, 1h running). Standard production current.
    • Long mode 10 min run. Once a week (20 min).
    • Amorphous run. Every set of 4 diam. orientation runs. 1h Standard production current. Time to switch from pol. to unpol.: 10min. time to switch from unpol. to pol.: 30min.
    • TAC commissioning, systematic studies and runs. (Hovanes, Alex Somov 2 days.)
      • V-wire commissioning.
      • Move around the collimator with 1mm plug to see effect on TAC. Do 4 different positions.
      • Check effect of material on γ-beam path on TAC: for ex. fill the target (30 min to fill or empty target).
      • Do a TAC run without solenoid field to test GEANT TAC simulation in simpler conditions. (To be done around straight-track runs).
      • Concurrently with the above, 2 TAC runs (one at the beginning, one in the middle of the run). , ??h run with thick converter. 1- LH2 target empty). Use 3.4mm collimator with 1mm plug in (if available).
    • Physics production data with diamonds and 5 mm hole. Ratio of para./transverse/45o/135o data:25/25/25/25. 2h runs and no more, as it may be hard to correct for calibration drifts. Switch polarization every run. Time to switch: 10min. DAQ start run overhead: 3min.
      • Luminosity:
        • Run at about 200 nA (for 60 μm diamond JD70-100).
  1. Parasitic muon chamber
  2. Parasitic TRD run

Hall D situation room (current run plan)

Hall D counting room white board

Runplan time charts

Commissioning time chart:
Fall17 week1.jpg

Commissioning time chart. Week 1. Time t=0 corresponds to Sunday, 12/03/2017. The horizontal scale is the time during which beam is available (in other word, it would be the real time with 100% of beam efficiency). The task time estimates given on the plot have 100% contingency.


Fall17 week2.jpg

Commissioning time chart. Week 2.


Fall17 week3.jpg

Commissioning time chart. Week 3.


Accelerator status

Hot Checkout

  1. Hot Check OUT Status 76% ready ; 9% checked ; 15% not ready

Readiness for Fall 17-Spring18 run

  • Solenoid (Eugene/Beni)
    • 4.5K cold and ready.
    • Tested on 10/27/17: ramped-up twice. First time, solenoid tripped. Then, successfully reached 1350A. It was then ramped-down after 2.5h at this current.
    • Was ramped-up (once) on the 29th and is at 1350A.
  • Surveys (Tim/Tom)
    • All surveys are done.
  • DAQ (Sergei).
    • Ready for Fall run. Plan to run with the new CODA (version 3.07) but if problems with the new version are not fixed by Wed. 11/29, we will revert to CODA 3.06.
    • Started cosmic tests
    • Waiting for trigger work to be finished.
    • Problem with setting-up CODA 3.07 due to interface. Cannot run efficiently above 20 kHz.
    • Problem with FDC TDC. Sasha will look at it.. Now fixed: It was a problem using some wrong libraries.
  • Trigger (Alex S.)
    • Will start checking boards next week (10/23 - 10/27)
    • Working on trigger for μ-chamber. Was able to read the crate with the trigger supervisor.
    • TRD hardware is installed.
    • Need to check all triggers (so far, only BCal-trigger has been checked)
      • Took 3 cosmic runs, including a long one, during the week end (11/25-11/26)
      • 3 crates with different problems have been repaired.
  • Beam line
    • Diamond status (Tim/Hovanes).
      • Diamond surveyed.
      • Small J1a50 (50 μm) was sent to U.Conn. on Oct. 1st for radiation damage study. It was received.
      • New diamonds may be available early Dec.
        • They will be tested at the Saskatoon Light Source on Nov. 28 (Tuesday), coming back on Dec. 3rd (Sunday).
        • They then will be mounted for the Spring18 run.
    • Tagger hodoscope (A. Somov)
      • Was powered and checked last week. Looks good. A bad FADC was found. Fast electronic group looked at it and it is now replaced (11/28).
      • There are also a few suspicious channels:
        • Found two dead channels (11/28). They belong to the low energy end of the γ-spectrum, so they are not the most important ones.
        • Three scintillators have been broken, presumably during the microscope installation since they are close to it. Two of them will be replaced.
    • Tagger microscope (Alex B./Richard)
      • Need to do voltage check.
      • Almost done with checking and HCO. Waiting for Richard to give new calibration values. It looks like we will not get them in time so we will use the old ones, which should be close to the new ones.
    • Goniometer (Hovanes).
      • Λ-wire installed.
      • Motion checked during survey.
      • Camera was bumped and dis-aligned, but it was fixed on 11/29
    • Collimator, Active collimator, profiler, flux monitor (Alex B./Hovanes).
      • Act. Col. baselines have been zeroed. Some gain settings won't return signals. This problem was fixed (11/28) by Trent who changed the incriminated hardware.
      • Tested flux monitor. Looks good.
      • Upgrading profiler to allow for coincidence between x and y signals in order to get 2D pictures. However, this will not be ready for the Fall run. Everything else is ready.
      • Need test plan and simulation of data and analysis for raster beam measurement (Richard).
    • PS system (Alex S.)
      • Working on LED trigger
      • Was powered for check. It looks fine.
      • Need to check if events look reasonable
    • Polarimeter (Sebastian Cole/M. Dugger).
      • Outside SSD not to be connected until Summer 2018.
      • Pumped down.
      • Sebastian did the HCO with Mike's phone assistance.
    • Target (Tim/Alexandre D.)
      • Target was pushed in (10/23 - 10/27). Now in position.
      • C. Keith cooled it down without problem (was already cooled down a few month ago w/o problems). HCO was done with Alexandre.
      • Alexandre will condense the target Friday (or whenever the beam is becoming ready) and then empty it (so that there is no need to man the counting room). It will then be filled when needed.
    • TAC (Hovanes)
      • Surveyed. In position. Was powered and checked. Pulses checked with scope and they look fine.
      • Need to organize special meeting to work out test plans.
      • Would like to do a run to check the timing window.
    • Slow control (Hovanes).
      • Voltage control for FDC is not working. Fixed
      • Two of the FDC mainframes are misbehaving.
    • RF (Elton S./P. Mattione)
      • Elton talked to Paul about RF status and have instructions on what needs to be done.
      • 11/27: checked with the cosmic run taken over the week end and everything seems fine, except that the PS does not seem to have RF signals.
      • 11/28: All RF signals are now gone. Looking into the problem.
    • Radiation monitors (Alexandre D.)
      • Melvin Washington is in the process of checking them for the accelerator HCO. Should be done by 11/28.
    • Halo Monitors (Hovanes)
      • Now in position (11/22), including #4 (11/28).
  • Detector systems
    • ST (Mark Ito)
    • HCO done. Some channels were not working due to loose cables. This problem is now fixed.
      • In place. Scalers are counting.
    • FDC (Lubomir)
      • Two of the mainframes are misbehaving.
      • Minor issues with some LV channels: About once a week, they stop being regulated. An alarm is implemented to signal this. It can be fixed by just pressing a button (instruction is provided with the alarm). This problem seems to be gone now (have not occurred for several weeks).
      • On but controls are not working yet. Controls are now working. Some mis-cabling found. Will be patched by relabeling the cables.
      • Cosmic check done. Things look okay. About 2% of the wires have various problems. 1% have HV problems, another 1% have low signals. We will run that way.
    • CDC (Beni)
      • Baseline calibration done (10/21-10/28) and check channel baseline alignment. Did it also for FDV
      • The baseline calibration done at the end of Oct. has been corrupted. It is not understood why. It was redone (11/28). We may want to refine it when we have time.
      • Cosmic events look fine.
      • No ADC F125 working spare available anymore. Fernando is trying to fix some and has sent others back to the manufacturer.
    • BCal (Elton/Mark D.)
        • Everything was cooled to 5C on 11/28.
      • There were some problem with a crate. Sasha and the fast electronic group fixed it (11/28). It was a bad transceiver.
      • Tested with LED.
      • The whole detector should be ready on 11/29.
      • Took more cosmic runs.
    • FCal (Collin)
      • Was turned on (10/9-10/13). 40 bases replaced.
      • 19 more bases need repair (10/13-11/20) and need to be replaced, but only 14 spares are available. Electronic group is repairing some. May have 20 spares available soon.
      • 19 bases have been replaced (11/21). 26 spares are available. Electronic group continues repairing more bases.
      • Dearth of spare bases. only 8 available now (11/09/17). 10 are being repaired
      • More based were replace on 11/28.
      • It was found that the bases were not put at their right place. This will be corrected on 11/30.
    • TOF (Mark Ito/Beni/Alex. Ostrovidov)
      • HCO done.
      • Communication problem with HV crates. 1 HV module was broken. Have to turn TOF on to see if it is fine now. Now fixed.
      • Cannot read TOF crate with FADC. Sasha is checking the problem. Now fixed (11/28).
      • It was found that some cables were stretched too tight and some were weakly plugged. This is now all fixed.
    • DIRC (J. Stevens)
      • Tim made sure the frame is not in the beam path.
  • Online monitoring (David L.)
    • Will work with Thomas B. in the counting room to check that everything works. 11/28: it looks fine but histograms are not on the web page and there are still a few bugs to fix.
  • Calibration/reconstruction/offline monitoring (Alexander Austregesilo/Thomas B.)
    • Everything should be ready. Checks done and things look fine.
    • Checking cosmic run to test the monitoring. A new cosmic run was taken (11/20-11/21) and the offline plots came out looking fine.
    • </strike> Rootspy is not working yet with the new CODA version (3.07). David Lawrence fixed the problem (11/28).</strike>
  • muon chamber (Elton S.)
    • Presently (11/02) in the EEL building and being tested there. Looking fine.
    • The wires were drawing more current than expected but this is gone. This problem was due to humidity. A dehumidifier paste was added.
    • Crate is in the hall and being connected to main Hall D system.
    • Support structure is being prepared and should be ready by mid-end of Nov.
    • Chamber has been be brought in the Hall (11/20-11/27). It was mounted on 11/21. There are still some cabling to do.
    • Tim estimates that removing the μ-chambers (in front of FCup) would take half a shift, including the time needed for opening the Hall.
  • Safety documents (Beni):
    • RSAD and ESAD ready. They were sent to Ed Folt for check. Will be sent to Bert
    • Question about adding rapid access to safety document.
  • Hall Status/safety (Tom/Tim)
    • Rapid access.
      • progressing and Installation should be ready for the Fall. (But read here)
      • Discussion on what training should be implemented for rapid access?
        • Should add procedure in RWP safety document and send a special email to Hall D collaborations asking to carefully read it.
        • Should train a few local individuals (technicians and physicists) before the Spring18 run.
  • Other topics?