Difference between revisions of "GlueX Software Meeting, March 16, 2022"

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Minutes: add recording info)
(Announcements)
 
Line 81: Line 81:
  
 
# [https://mailman.jlab.org/pipermail/halld-offline/2022-March/008785.html New version set: 5.5.0]. This version set has updates for the new detectors for the CPP experiment.
 
# [https://mailman.jlab.org/pipermail/halld-offline/2022-March/008785.html New version set: 5.5.0]. This version set has updates for the new detectors for the CPP experiment.
 +
#* Richard asked about his stand-alone HDDM repository. Mark replied that that has not been incorporated into the default version set yet. One outstanding step is to remove code from halld_recon that is provided by the HDDM repo. Richard reminded us that the data models themselves are stored in halld_recon's HDDM library and should remain so.
 
# [https://mailman.jlab.org/pipermail/halld-offline/2022-March/008786.html New version of Build Scripts: version 2.33]. This version allows set-up of a subset of packages. Packages omitted from the XML file will not have their set-up steps performed.
 
# [https://mailman.jlab.org/pipermail/halld-offline/2022-March/008786.html New version of Build Scripts: version 2.33]. This version allows set-up of a subset of packages. Packages omitted from the XML file will not have their set-up steps performed.
  

Latest revision as of 17:34, 16 March 2022

GlueX Software Meeting
Wednesday, March 16, 2022
1:30 pm EDT

Zoom Meeting ID: 161 869 2159 Passcode: 634605 Join

Mark Ito is inviting you to a scheduled ZoomGov meeting.

Topic: GlueX Software Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join ZoomGov Meeting https://jlab-org.zoomgov.com/j/1618692159?pwd=VGpjT1BZR2hKWmp1S0E3aEpHUlRiQT09

Meeting ID: 161 869 2159 Passcode: 634605 One tap mobile +16692545252,,1618692159# US (San Jose) +16468287666,,1618692159# US (New York)

Dial by your location

       +1 669 254 5252 US (San Jose)
       +1 646 828 7666 US (New York)
       +1 669 216 1590 US (San Jose)
       +1 551 285 1373 US
       833 568 8864 US Toll-free

Meeting ID: 161 869 2159 Find your local number: https://jlab-org.zoomgov.com/u/acAwo1X4w9

Join by SIP 1618692159@sip.zoomgov.com

Join by H.323 161.199.138.10 (US West) 161.199.136.10 (US East) Meeting ID: 161 869 2159 Passcode: 634605

Agenda

  1. Announcements
    1. New version set: 5.5.0
    2. New version of Build Scripts: version 2.33
  2. Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting (all)
  3. Review of Minutes from the last HDGeant4 meeting (all)
  4. FAQ of the Fortnight: What is this sbatch error that I am getting?
  5. JANA2 (Nathan)
  6. Review of recent issues and pull requests:
    1. halld_recon
    2. halld_sim
    3. CCDB
    4. RCDB
    5. MCwrapper
    6. gluex_root_analysis
  7. Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List (all)
  8. Action Item Review (all)

Minutes

Present: Alex Austregesilo, Nathan Brei, Thomas Britton, Sean Dobbs, Mark Ito (chair), Igal Jaegle, Naomi Jarvis, Richard Jones, Curtis Meyer, Susan Schadmand, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann

There is a recording of this meeting on the ZoomGov site. (Passcode: JTHgxw%5)

Announcements

  1. New version set: 5.5.0. This version set has updates for the new detectors for the CPP experiment.
    • Richard asked about his stand-alone HDDM repository. Mark replied that that has not been incorporated into the default version set yet. One outstanding step is to remove code from halld_recon that is provided by the HDDM repo. Richard reminded us that the data models themselves are stored in halld_recon's HDDM library and should remain so.
  2. New version of Build Scripts: version 2.33. This version allows set-up of a subset of packages. Packages omitted from the XML file will not have their set-up steps performed.

Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting

We went over the minutes from March 2nd.

  • The pull requests from Simon have been merged and incorporated in version set 5.5.0.
  • Mark still needs to arrange a meeting for OSG-interested parties.
  • Mark has done some tests showing that a build on the ifarm a corresponding build in the CentOS 7 Singularity container are equivalent. He is working replacing the two separate builds with one.
  • Richard suggested making JANA2 a standing agenda item for these meetings.
  • Richard mentioned that GlueX has been mentioned more than once in the opening talks of the OSG All-Hands meeting being held this week.
  • Richard reported that at the All-Hands meeting Miron Livny announced funding for an initiative to have HPC Centers accept jobs from OSG Submit Hosts. The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center was mentioned specifically as a target for jobs.

Review of Minutes from the last HDGeant4 meeting

We went over the minutes from the meeting on March 9th.

  • Mark reported, and Thomas confirmed, that the new container gluex_prod:v1 is in production us on the OSG via MCwrapper. There is also a gluex_devel:latest out on the OSG's Singularity CVMFS share.
  • Mark encouraged us to think about how and when to move to a more advanced version of the GCC compiler, one beyond that provided natively on CentOS 7 (GCC 4.8.5).
  • Richard advocated putting a CentOS 8 Stream container on CVMFS as well as a corresponding build on Oasis. Mark will look into this.
  • Mark highlighted the decision that this would be the last of the bi-weekly-scheduled HDGeant4 meetings.

FAQ of the Fortnight: What is this sbatch error that I am getting?

We went over the FAQ, first raised by Edmundo Barriga. To run on the JLab farm, you not only have to be a member of the halld group, but you also have to be listed under the halld Slurm account.

JANA2

Nathan summarized the status of JANA2 and the conversion of halld_recon to use it. See his slides for the details. From the discussion:

  • Alex asked whether Nathan was interested in consulting on GlueX software generally now that he has gained familiarity with halld_recon. Nathan did not dismiss the idea out of hand.
  • There is an existing branch of halld_recon that has been converted to use JANA2. We need to identify a recent version to standardize on for comparison.
  • Alex mentioned that Richard has done a lot of work on reproducibility of our reconstruction code. We might want to make sure that all of those changes are in before flagging a version for comparison testing.
  • Mark asked about compiler versions. Nathan responded that JANA2 compiles with GCC 4.8.5, but that he would welcome the ability to access features for more advanced versions in the future.
  • We will invite Nathan back to future meetings to report on further progress.

Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List

We reviewed the thread on the Help List on deleting old branches from halld_recon. Mark has not received any objections.

  • Sean cautioned us that we would not want to inadvertently delete Richard's work on reproducibility.
  • Nathan proposed that one way to preserve the old branches would be to fork halld_recon, and port all of the current branches of the original repo to the fork before deleting them from the original.

Action Items

  1. Increase Shibboleth time-out beyond its current 12 hour setting. (Bryan)
  2. Call a meeting to discuss OSG issues for the JLab community. (Mark)
  3. Put a CentOS 8 Stream system out on CVMFS (container and software stack). (Mark)