GlueX Offline Meeting, June 12, 2013
GlueX Offline Software Meeting
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
1:30 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/327
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Communication Information
- 3 Minutes
- Changes to Analysis Software: Paul M.
- Review of minutes from the last meeting: all
- Data Challenge 2 (all)
- Offline Tasks (Mark)
- Planning for Workshop/Tutorial (all)
- Mantis Bug Tracker Review
- Review of recent repository activity: all
- ESNet: 8542553
You can view the computer desktop in the meeting room at JLab via the web.
- Go to http://esnet.readytalk.com
- In the "join a meeting" box enter the Hall D code: 1833622
- Fill in the participant registration form.
To connect by telephone:
- US and Canada: (866)740-1260 (toll free)
- International: (303)248-0285 (toll call) or look up toll-free number at http://www.readytalk.com/intl
- enter access code followed by the # sign: 1833622#
Talks can be deposited in the directory
/group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2013-2Q on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2013-2Q/ .
- CMU: Paul Mattione, Curtis Meyer
- IU: Kei Moriya
- JLab: Mark Ito (chair), Simon Taylor, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann
Changes to Analysis Software
Paul went over the new features checked in recently. He is trying to put in changes that will be useful at the workshop so that they can be included in a tagged release. See his email for details.
File Size for Raw Data
Elliott raised the question of appropriate file size for the raw data, and solicited input from the offline group. Previously Mark made stab at a benchmark, prompted by an email from Hovanes and based on the numbers we presented at last year's software review, but it was only addressed to a limited number of collaborators. He comes up with 40 GB as the size given a 24-hour execution time with four threads.
Beni thought that the decision should be decided based on optimization of tape writing/reading. The current tape size at JLab is about 1 TB.
Elliott will reframe the question in a more public forum.
Review of minutes from the last meeting
Items from a review of the minutes from the May 15th meeting.
- Paul and Simon spoke at last week's collaboration meeting about transferring the effort to deal with curling tracks to Simon.
- Paul increased the number of events simulated in the automated b1pi test to 50 k from 10k, to get better statistics in the plots. This may explain recent lengthening of the job's execution time to exceed 24 hours.
Not much has been done other than the progress on software that we will include in the next challenge. We reviewed the ideas we have so far and set a couple of tentative goals.
- Generate 10 billion events
- Start full production at the beginning of August
Mark presented a prioritized list of offline software tasks, a version of which he presented two collaboration meetings ago. He welcomes comments and questions.
Paul had some additional suggestions:
- spiral tracks
- tagger reconstruction
- start counter reconstruction
Planning for Workshop/Tutorial
Paul gave us the run-down.
- We should have a tentative agenda by next week.
- Current goal is to concentrate on the 3π channel.
- Will try to go all the way through the analysis process: event generation, simulation, reconstruction, boosted decision tree, partial wave analysis.
- Will use VirtualBox to provide a pre-built GlueX software environment.
- Will work from a specific tagged release, to be tagged.
- Will record the audio/desktop for those who cannot attend live.