Dec 17, 2008 BCAL Construction

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 15:27, 22 December 2008 by Zisis (Talk | contribs) (Action Item List)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Teleconference Instructions

Meeting time 13:00-14:00 Newport News / 12:00-13:00 Regina / 11:00-12:00 Edmonton

  • +1-800-377-8846 : US
  • +1-888-276-7715 : Canada
  • +1-302-709-8424 : International
  • then enter participant code: 39527048# (remember the "#")

Quick Reference Links

Documents to Review

  1. Dan's corner block: imageDan's updated measuring layout
  2. Updated Wedge drawing: Latest wedge machined dwg
  3. Updated Base plate drawing: Latest base plate dwg need to remove inserts for machining

= Action Item List = (updated - see bottom of page)

  1. Tim will supply updated drawings and post on DocDB by this friday
  2. Gilbert will submit a list of all tools required and cost estimates by middle of next week. Mostly completed.
  3. Gilbert will send a drawing of the machining set up for jlab to reference.
  4. Detailed schedule for preparation for module production (Gilbert).
  5. Tim to supply 3d stp/iges files to Regina/Alberta.
  6. In progress: George submitted a QA plan last month. Needs to be reviewed by Tim and Elke.
  7. Manpower
    • Construction Manager: Progress at UofA on job description, job ad
    • Co-Op job ads

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements: Pb-vendor responses (Tim)
  2. Corner block concept: indexing during machining at Ross (Dan)
  3. Go-nogo Gauge: discuss concept/implementation (Jan/Gilbert)
  4. Installation: how to lift matrix from Al base plate off steel beam
  5. Latest changes to drawings
  6. Review action item list
  7. Other business

Minutes

Attendees: Regina - Zisis, George, Dan, Keith Alberta - Gilbert, Jan, JLAB - Tim, James

  1. Tim discussed lead vendors- 1 of 3 can do .5mm thick lead. Thay can cut to eidth and length. The vendor (Walker Casting) says it will be cheaper to have 35 lbs rolls than package in flats in crate ($4 - $5 per lb.). He will give a better quote soon. George to supply contact for another vendor they use (Vulcan).
  2. Discussed Dan's measuring block for checking dimensions after machining wedge. It appears resonable and requires the support tube to be cut 2 inches shorter at each end and have machined faces. It was also discussed the possibility of having to skim cut the top and bottom surfaces of the support tube (5"x3+ tube with 1/4" wall). There are some concerns that this will stress relieve and warp the tube. Zisis will have the tube he has measured, skimmed and measured again at Ross.
  3. More thought and discussions to be had on the go-nogo gauge for the wedges. Dan proposes that the machine head is to be used with an indicator to measure the wedge after machining. Gauge may be redundant but can possibly be used at JLAB for incoming inspection. Dan asked the question of surface finish requirements for the lead came up. Tim stated that 250 uin rms would be fine. Also, it was discussed that if the tool was worn or dull and it had to be replaced midstream, it would be ok to take a deeper cut on the surface (<1mm) and make up for it on the other side. Gilbert brought up that it was critical that the machine at Ross be repeatable from batch to batch and suggested a jig to set the angle of the head so it is repeatable. Dan said thay use a sign plate and will be discussed with Ross.
  4. Zisis and co. would sleep better if the support tube stayed attached to the wedge all the way to JLAB. The current plan is to do so and support properly in the crate. The tube can be shipped back to Alberta in the crate. We would need at least 12 tubes. It was also suggested that serial numbers be stamped on the end of the base plate. Yes!. We will need to come up with a good way to remove the tube from the wedge at JLAB. We also need to think about the need for accelerometers in the crate. More discussion needed... Zisis is waiting on 3rd shipping co to supply cost. He will discuss dedicated shipping trailers (in other words, the wedges do not leave the beds, only the tractor is swapped).
  5. The drawings all seen reasonable and will be reviewed by Tim and James will update as needed. The dwgs in DocDB will be updated and a step and iges file will be sent to Alberta and Regina.
  6. Zisis will forward Gilbert's tooling list. Gilbert is looking for approval to purchase materials for tooling and base plate. Tim will check on this. Also, the holes for the bushings do not need to be flat bottom.

Action Items

  1. Tim will supply updated drawings and post on DocDB by this friday
  2. George to send Tim info for Vulcan.
  3. Tim to investigate more lead manufacturers
  4. Zisis will forward a Gilbert's list of all tools required and cost estimates.
  5. Zisis to have support tube checked, skimmed and checked again at Ross.
  6. Zisis to continue ironing out shipping details.
  7. Jan and Gilbert to discuss more on Go-NoGo gage.
  8. Dan to discuss setup jig with Ross for setting machine head angle consistently.
  9. Gilbert will send a drawing of the machining set up for jlab to reference.
  10. Detailed schedule for preparation for module production (Gilbert).
  11. Tim to supply 3d stp/igis files to Regina/Alberta.
  12. Tim to seek approval for bying material at Alberta.
  13. In progress: George submitted a QA plan last month. Needs to be updated by Richard and the reviewed by Tim and Elke.
  14. Manpower
    • Construction Manager: Progress at UofA on job description, job ad
    • Co-Op job ads